Spread the Fun!

Googlicious!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Great Secrets to Better Listening: Repeat What You Heard


After letting the other person have their say, a relatively simple component of effective listening involves repeating back to someone what you understood out of what they said. This is great for more technical tasks like how to put our child's crib together while speaking with a customer service rep over the phone, but it's also helpful in relationships because it shows the person talking to us that we've at least made an attempt to hear what they have to say.

Join the communication skills conversation on Twitter!

Please steer clear of sarcastically mimicking the person. Repeating what someone says is just a way to make sure the lines of communication are operating properly. If there is a misunderstanding, because you told the person your understanding of what they said, they have an opportunity to correct your impression by re-wording themselves or giving your more information.

Here are some examples from snippets of conversations that involve this skill:

Lalonda: "I hate it when you call me 'Lala' it's so...weird."
Corey: "So you don't like it when I call you Lala?"
Lalonda: "No!"
Corey: "Okay. I'll try to work on not calling you that any more. Thanks for telling me. I apologize if I hurt or offended you."

Nero: "Can you get some stuff for me at the store, too? I just need Wet Wipes, string cheese, and a lighter."
Pan: "You want Wet Wipes, string cheese, and a lighter?"
Nero: "Right. Thanks." 
Pan: "No problem. I'm on it."

Waylon: "I hate that I have to force you to go to games. It feels like work. It's no fun."
Sherry: "Are you saying you don't want me to go to games with you?"
Waylon: "No! I...I enjoy basketball generally and I want to share that time with you, but I always have to ask you to go and remind you to put on a Cardinals shirt and it's like...*sigh* I dunno..."
Sherry: "It sounds like you would rather I were more enthusiastic about going."
Waylon: "Well...actually...yeah. That's it. It's like you don't want to go and I want you to like it and want to go."



No comments:

Post a Comment